Subject: Undiscovered Country Effect
From: Kent Lidke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 10:57:20 -0800

>>> When the Klingon Bird of Prey fired its weapons while cloaked you could
 >>> see just the nose of the ship fade in as it was illumated by its weapons
 >>> fire.

 >>How about if you chop off the nose of the ship, apply a grid transparency
 >>to it so that only part of it is visible and the rest fades to complete
 >>transparency...then apply a 100% dissolve envelope to this object and
 >>when you want it to become visible, just envelope the dissolve value
 >>down to 0% or whatever.

 >Using FALLOFF on a light and compositing would perhaps accomplish
 >a similar effect.  There's probably twenty different ways to do this one.

 The light falloff is a good idea.  By setting all surfaces to additive,
 you'd get a nice transparency effect.  If you used the torpedo (or
 whatever) as the lightsource, it would become partially visible as it
 fired and disappear as the torpedo moved away.  At least, I think
 it would.

  E-mail from: Kent S. Lidke, 07-Mar-1996